To celebrate St. Patrick’s Day, the advent of spring, or just the natural vibrant verdure of fresh foods, here are a few emerald-hued recipes:
- Kiwi Sorbet from The Delicious Life. This is the recipe where kiwis really come into their own. I was smitten with this sorbet as the first bit of frozen goodness melted on my tongue—so good, and so beautifully green.
- Creamy Herb Dressing from Food & Wine made with plenty of fresh green herbs, plus two tablespoons of expeller-pressed grapeseed oil. You can make it as the recipe is, oil-free and fat-free, but I like the tastiness and pretty greenness the oil adds.
- Honeydew Sherbet, pictured at top. Make a simple syrup by stirring 3/4 cup sugar with 1 cup water and heating until sugar is completely dissolved. Allow to cool, then blend with 2 cups honeydew melon, 2 Tbsp lime juice, 2 Tbsp coconut milk, and ¼ tsp salt. Freeze in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s directions.
- Spicy Chickpea Purée from Deborah Madison’s Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone. Serve with chilled cucumbers and a sauce of blended jalapeño, cilantro, and lime juice for a tasty sandwich filling.
- Green Frosting from Bittersweet. Cookies and cakes topped with this avocado frosting become green, sweet, delicious desserts to lure all the little leprechauns to your kitchen.